In 1823, William Webb Ellis first picked up the ball in his arms and ran with it. And for the next 156 years forwards have been trying to work out why. - Tasker Watkins VC, LJ.

Monday, November 7, 2011

50 Up.

A quick aside here before getting back into the swing of things.

This is the 50th post I've put up on this blog since starting, a bit over one a week. My heartfelt thanks to everyone who's read, and commented on, the posts; I'm pleasantly surprised at the level of interest on some areas.

To some extent, I wish there weren't so much interest, because that means there's an awful lot of interaction between a game and the law. That said, I'm glad I've been able to help highlight some issues, and that some of them are coming to the fore. Particularly, I notice I've been returning again and again to certain topics - liability for players' irresponsible use of social media; inconsistency in discipline; dangerous tackles; and improper management of concussion.

All of which are well worth pointing out; and all of which the game would be better off without. As I hope has become clear, I deeply love this game, and I deeply want it to be better; I know it can be better; and I know there's no reason at all for these problems not to be sorted out when all it really takes is proper efforts by those responsible for the game to deal with these problems.

It would be lovely if people would force me to go out and look for something new; that would mean the problems were being sorted out. Alas, experience is teaching me that's not all that likely.

Because, no sooner said, that the next three posts are going to be about Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu at it again on Twitter; Stephen Jones' yellow card for a tackle on Tommy Bowe in the West Wales derby; the lack of anything approaching training on concussion management in Ireland and elsewhere; and, just for luck,  a new case on liability for the condition of rugby pitches.

More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment